When it comes to the question of how much a person should give their 401 (k) bill, the best answer is usually as much as they can. But that amount can vary depending on your age and current financial circumstances. In addition, the annual pre-tax contribution limit for 2021 is $ 19,500, although older workers may add more.
Most employees who contribute a 401 (k) at work they usually contribute a certain percentage of their salary to the maximum allowed annual amount. Many financial advisors recommend a delay of between 10 and 15 percent of your salary in 401 (k), but the percentage that suits you depends on the following three factors:
1. Your age: The earlier you start contributing, the better off it will be complex effect money. The fewer years you have from now on and when you plan to start taking advantage of your 401 (k) in retirement, the higher percentage of your salary you should contribute for the years you remain in the workforce.
2. How much of the house can you pay for the contribution: This is especially important if you are responsible for it student loans or car loans,, mortgage or bills for rent, children or dog care or maybe even medical bills.
3. Understanding the prospects of retirement and retirement goals: Maintaining the current standard of living after retirement requires about 80 percent of your pre-retirement. This is called a replacement ratio, and common sources of pension funds in addition to your 401 (k) include social security, pensions, IRAs, rental income, and inheritance. Having a realistic retirement goal is important and can influence your contribution decision.
How much can you contribute to 401 (k)?
Tax Administration sets contribution limits at 401 (k) s: For 2021, the contribution limit is $ 19,500, with an additional $ 6,500 of allowable compensation contributions for workers 50 and older.
How quickly you qualify to join your employer’s 401 (k) depends on how the plan is set up. Some plans allow employees to join on the first day of employment, but other plans may require up to a year of waiting. Consider if your employer’s plan has a waiting period establishing an individual IRA so you can start saving right away.
For employees working in 401 (k) matching organizations, the above IRS limitations do not include employer contributions. Read also : 4 Ways to Build Retirement Savings in Your 20s. If your employer ensures a match, try to contribute at least as much as the company matches, because it’s basically “free money”.
The usual matching formula is 50 cents for every dollar saved, up to 6 percent of salary. So if an employee contributes 6 percent and an employer 3 percent, the employee actually saves a total of 9 percent per year.
If yours the employer does not offer a match, some employees have determined that it is a a smart move to contribute to the maximum first IRAs and only then do contributions to their company 401 (k) begin.
Pay taxes now or later when you pay 401 (k)
When you register with employer 401 (k), you will need to decide if there will be your contributions before tax or after tax, or whether they go to the traditional 401 (k) or Roth 401 (k), if your employer offers the Roth option.
Savings on a pre-tax basis mean you defer tax liability for your contribution until retirement. On the same subject : Should I Use My Home Equity to Buy Stocks?. For example, a worker over the age of 50 in the 12 percent tax bracket (jointly filed marriage) with $ 80,000 of taxable income deferring the maximum for 2021 – $ 26,000 – will reduce his tax bill by $ 3,120.
Tax-based retirement savings in Roth 401 (k) mean that you now pay tax on your contributions, at your current tax rate, so when you access money during retirement, withdrawals will be tax-free as long as the funds in the account are at least five tax years.
If your employer plan allows, you can use both types of contributions to diversify your tax position at retirement.
When determining your contribution percentage, consider auto-boost
According to Vanguard 401 (k) data, in 2019 the average contribution of 401 (k) was 7 percent of salary. This may interest you : How to Make Sure Stock Market Volatility Doesn’t Tank Your Retirement Savings. Meanwhile, only 21 percent of the 401 (k) participants saved more than 10 percent of their retirement salary.
If you can’t afford that much at first, many employers will allow you to automatically increase your contribution rate each year (up to a maximum of 10 percent), which can be a more convenient and gradual way to increase your contribution amount.
401 (k) can be one of your best tools for creating a secure pension. But maybe you should consider some as well pension investment alternatives.
Editorial Statement: All investors are advised to independently research investment strategies before making an investment decision. In addition, investors are advised that the current performance of investment products is not a guarantee of future price increases.